Wednesday, September 7, 2016

#IWSG: Writing, Life


Founded by Alex J. Cavanaugh and supported by an amazing team of writers (incuding Alex)!

The question this month: How do you find time to write in your busy day?

I have my usual routines but sometimes they get lost.


Last month, my kids qualified for Team USA for the Olympic Hopes Regatta in Hungary (which happens this month), one of them went on a mission trip to Peru, my dog got really sick (he's better now), I got sick (I'm better now, too), my oldest put her shoulder out of its socket at practice and had it put back into place four days later, I celebrated my 20th anniversary and my 45th birthday, and I gave the message one Sunday when our Pastor was out of town. (And, regular life chugged along, too.) I felt like I was on some kind of wild roller coaster with extra loops.

So, how do I make time to write? 

I keep track of my writing word count in the back pages of my journal each day and that inspires me to get some words down each day. Sometimes, I write "7" and sometimes I write "2,200." It really varies, but I try to get something down. (And, during the wildest moments, the count is: 0)

I have more than one project going at the same time. For some, this would be crazy talk. For me, when I get stuck on one project, I hit my head against it for a while, and then switch projects to keep writing.

Lately I've been trying the Pomodoro technique - 25 minutes of work at a time. I write for 25. And, then I go run around and do other things, and come back for another 25 minutes. And, that's it.


How do you find time to write?


NEWS

Baby Moo's Great Escape is coming out on September 8th!
Baby Moo has a dream. He wants to travel the world and sing on the stage of the Sydney Opera House! While he loves his home at Sunrise Sanctuary, it hasn’t been the same since a piglet named Nathan showed up and stole all the attention away from Moo. Jealous of the new baby, Moo decides now is the time to make his escape and pursue his dream.
But the world outside the sanctuary gates is not quite the fun and exciting place Moo imagined, and he quickly finds himself in big trouble. Moo's friends Missy the dog and Ruthie the cat rush to help him, and land in some trouble of their own.
Lost and frightened, Moo and his friends must rely on each other to find their way back home. Will they ever see Sunrise again?


Release date: September 8, 2016 from Native Ink Press
Links:


Julie Flanders will donate $1 to Sunrise Sanctuary, home to Baby Moo and numerous other rescued animals, for each copy sold in September.
Tweet:

Baby Moo's Great Escape by @JulesFlanders is here! $1 will be donated to @sunrise_ohio for each copy sold in Sept.  http://tinyurl.com/gpuomwm




Mark Noce's new book, Between Two Fires, is out! I would say more, but there will be a guest post here next week all about it.
*I'm currently reading it, and it rocks!

Amazon/ Amazon Kindle/ Barnes & Noble/ Barnes & Noble Nook/ iTunes/ IndieBound/ Thomas Dunne Books












Stephanie Faris is currently launching two new books in her Piper Morgan series. Piper Morgan is a delightful character who moves to a new town excited for an adventure. She is determined to have fun, be brave and make new friends.








My second and third year of writing curriculum is out. It's meant for 8th through 10th grade students, and it's something that I've used in my home-school co-operative classes. The focus is writing, but there are a few literature-based lessons in these, too, as I've tried to change with the times and prepare students for the new SAT essay focused on analysis.

For more information and the big blurbs, go here:
They are only in paperback at this time.



And, don't worry about the quality. It's all been proofed and tested by two to three years of home-school co-operative students. They had the handouts, and then the work-in-progress books from a private print-run. Finally, this year they have books.










56 comments:

Chemist Ken said...

Working on more than one project at a time does sound a little crazy to me, especially since I'm a slow writer. Of course, I do it anyway. Good luck with finding all the time you want for writing.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Awesome about the Dynamic Writing books!
For those who can flit between projects, yours is a good plan.
I'm also tired just reading everything you had to deal with last month...

emaginette said...

I can see how a word count would help. Interesting how we all have our way. :-)

Anna from elements of emaginette

Tyrean Martinson said...

Even if I'm working slowly, I like to skip around. I think I might be a little towards the undiagnosed ADHD spectrum.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Yeah, me too. I'm excited about all that's coming this month, but I'm also looking forward to October, which will be back to more "normal" things.

Tyrean Martinson said...

It is interesting what works for each of us. I love the prompt this month.

cleemckenzie said...

You've had one busy time recently! It's a wonder you got any writing done, but you did.

Cherie Reich said...

That Pomodoro technique sounds helpful, especially when the attention span starts to waver. With all that's been going on, it's amazing you've found the time to write anything lately.

Cathrina Constantine said...

I like that idea. I write for about an hour and then get antsy and have to move. I usually clean then...or take the dog outside to play.

You sure are a busy woman. I don't know how you find time to write. Have a nice September!!

Anonymous said...

I'm always amazed at how much you accomplish. I'm glad the Pomodoro technique works for you. Congrats on getting your writing books out!
IWSG Co-host at http://lorilmaclaughlin.com

Christine Rains said...

I need to try that technique. Perhaps I'd get less distracted that way. Glad to hear everyone is doing better. I had a household of sickness last month too.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

I usually like to work on a long project (novel) and a short one (short story, flash etc) at the same time because I will inevitably get blocked with one of them, so I can turn to the other to keep those creative juices flowing.

Laura Clipson said...

The Pomodoro technique sounds interesting - I'll have to look into it! It sounds like you've been super busy, I think you can be forgiven for having a few 0's!

Sarah Foster said...

Sounds like you've been really busy!! I like the sound of the Pomodoro technique. That would probably be good for me and dealing with distractions like dishes, cleaning, TV, etc.

Tyrean Martinson said...

It surprised me, too.
I think I needed the writing to stay sane. :)

Tyrean Martinson said...

I agree, but I think the writing helped me keep going in life.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Sometimes, I'm the calm eye inside of the storm of family activity. That's kind of my job. And, the writing helps me stay that way.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks!!!

Tyrean Martinson said...

I'm glad you're feeling better, Christine!
And, the technique definitely helps.

Tyrean Martinson said...

I switch between long, short, fiction, and non-fiction . . . and sometimes, poetry. It definitely helps that they aren't the same kind of writing.
Glad I'm not the only one that's crazy enough to flip from project to project. :)

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks, Laura!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Yeah - kind of over the top busy. And, it is good for dealing with distractions.

M Pax said...

You are an amazing woman, Tyrean. I used the 8 Minute Writing Habit to get myself moving. Great on your non-fiction, and yay for Julie. Some days, my word count is 0 too. Depends on the day. Sometimes I just need the day off.

Juneta key said...

Wow, what an interesting month. I may have to try the Pomodoro technique. I have heard others talk about it too, but have never tried it. Great post.
Juneta @ Writer's Gambit

Juneta key said...

Wow, what an interesting month. I may have to try the Pomodoro technique. I have heard others talk about it too, but have never tried it. Great post.
Juneta @ Writer's Gambit

Erika Beebe said...

I will have to get Baby Moo. It sounds really fun. Two projects? I admire you. I guess I do have two book ideas in my head in the moment but the voices are so different I couldn't write them both at the same time. I love reading about everyone's different styles and lived this month. I wish you much success for your family, their health and of course for your writing too.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Sometimes we all need a day off. :)

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks, Juneta!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thank you, Erika! Yes, I usually have more than one project on the burner. The writing curriculum projects have been in different stages for the last four years and those are the easiest ones to put down and come back to later.

Unknown said...

Sounds like life in the fast lane . . . good for you! ~Cheers

Unknown said...

Sounds like life in the fast lane . . . good for you! ~Cheers

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

You definitely sound like you were on a loopy roller coaster. I can relate. I work on more than one project at a time too. It gets crazy, but I can't help it.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Wow, you are a busy woman. Where do you get your energy. And so much news and so much going on. Very Excited for your girls. They've worked hard for it.

Jenni said...

I sometimes work on more than one project at a time. I am now, but they're in different stages: one in revisions, one is a first draft.
Wow, congrats on your kids getting into the regatta!
And your homeschooling book looks intriguing!

Michelle Wallace said...

I've heard about the Pomodoro technique.
I've also started working on two or three projects. The up side is that when you get 'stuck', you can always switch to the next one. It ensures that you are always writing something.

Nick Wilford said...

I wish I could do more than one project at a time, but I find that I get obsessed with my current WIP to the extent that I can't focus on anything else, except perhaps for the odd short story. It's great that it works for you, though! Hope this month is calmer, with no sickness or injuries - you also had some really positive stuff last month though, which you must have felt good about. Congrats on the curriculum book!

H. R. Sinclair said...

Wow, you have quite a month! I like the idea of tracking #s in a journal.

Julie Flanders said...

Thanks so much for sharing about Baby Moo!! And wow, I got tired just reading about the month you had. But sounds like there was lots of excitement going on, especially the team qualification. Congrats to your daughters! Will they be traveling to Hungary this month now?
Glad you and your dog are both feeling much better.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Wow! You've had a lot going on. Love your 25 minute writing rule.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I've been wanting to try that 25 minute method, but I'm not sure if it will be good or bad with my ADHD (highly distractable, but I can also hyper focus). I definitely want to do it for work, and I should do it for writing, so I plan to start it next week to see how it goes. Too much sitting, yet too little productivity.

Laurel Garver said...

I love your 25 minute writing spurt plan. I might have to try that! I like to keep several nonficiton projects going to switch to when I feel stuck with the fiction and it just needs to simmer. And congrats on the new curriculum books!

Mark said...

Wow, so cool your kids are in the regatta! And so glad that you're liking Between Two Fires! :)

Crystal Collier said...

That was quite the month. I was having one too, but it sounds tame in comparison to yours, and involved a lot more writing because it's deadline time. I like the 25 minute method, but I've also heard there's a progressive productivity until a certain point. For me, I max out after about 5 hours, but until then I'm building speed.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks, Jamie!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Good to know I'm not the only one on this crazy coaster. :)

Tyrean Martinson said...

Daily exercise, prayer, and too much caffeine are my energy providers. :)
Thank you!!!

Tyrean Martinson said...

It's best if they are in different stages or at least completely different genres.
And, thank you!!!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Yes, I like that upside!

Tyrean Martinson said...

I'm hoping for a calmer month, too. :)
And, thanks!

Tyrean Martinson said...

It helps me see that I've accomplished something - even on the days when I can't write much there.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Yes, they are traveling soon.
And, you're welcome!
And thank you!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks, Natalie! It's been a bit wild.

Tyrean Martinson said...

I do the hyper focus thing, too. I did the 25 minute technique "right" for a few days and then went into hyperfocus mode one afternoon and wrote around 10,000 words. I've only done that once before . . . and I'm not sure it's a good thing. I felt wiped out for days afterwards and didn't write much of anything for four days.

Sean McLachlan said...

I keep a tally of my wordcount too. I find it pushes me.

dolorah said...

That promodoro technique sounds awesome. I like the idea of writing for a specific time. Great when it can be extended longer. I'm overwhelmed just reading your task lists.

Misha Gerrick said...

Wow it sounds like you've been having a crazy time!

I also keep record of my words. Most of the time, it does encourage me to get at least something written.