Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Lynda Young's 5 Reasons to Write with Images



Please welcome Lynda R. Young to the 5 Reasons to Write Series




5 Reasons to Write with Images
by Lynda R. Young

1. For inspiration:  I once had an idea in my head about a place that functioned as a warehouse/shopping mall. It had to be different but I couldn’t see it. So I looked up ancient buildings in Google Images and found the perfect place with the perfect feel. It turned out to be a European Cathedral with vaulted ceilings, and a sense of awe seeping from the walls. The image helped me describe this strange place and brought the story alive.
An example: Click this Link

2. For posts: When a blogger or social media guru posts articles, the pieces are imminently more readable and engaging when images are included—whether they are graphs, photos, or drawings. In this visual culture, people are attracted to imagery and the pictures break up the text to make it easier to digest and understand.

3. For grounding: When a writer writes with word pictures—not just the description of the setting, but also what the characters are doing, feeling, smelling—the reader becomes grounded in the story and far more invested. The reader isn’t left in the dark to fill the gaps. They are, instead, carried away into a sensory experience, rich with imagery. They know exactly where they’ve been transported.

4. For engagement: To mix up the way you say things in your writing is to help keep the reader engaged. For example, the use of figurative language like analogies, similes and metaphors helps paint a picture in the reader’s mind that offers them a different perspective on a subject. Even using general description—a word here, a sentence there—can build a remarkable picture for the reader that will stay with them for a long time.

5. For sharing a passion: Passion is often displayed through the teller by the indepth way they speak or write about the object of their passion. The more detail, the more pictures painted in words, even actual pictures, the more others understand the depth of that passion.

So there you have it: my five reasons to write with images.
What would your reasons be?

Lynda R. Young
Lynda R Young writes devotionals, articles, and speculative short stories. In her spare time she is also an editor, game developer, artist, and dabbles in photography and all things creative. She lives in Australia with her sweetheart of a husband. You can find her here: BlogTwitterFacebookGoodreads

Her debut daily devotional, Cling to God, can be found here: Amazon PaperbackAmazon kindleNookB&NKoboiTunesGoodreads.


A few notes from blog host, Tyrean: 
#1 Lynda's devotional book is one of the best devotional books I've read in years. I haven't finished it yet because I'm savoring it. I highly recommend it!

#2 Crystal Collier's newest book came out last week and I missed the party. :( So, let's throw confetti and dance for her book and Lynda's at the same time.
BUY ON

Visit Crystal here: 
Unleashing the dream world, one book at a time 


#3 I had a unexpected novella come out. See story about that here. I am working at getting the latest pdf from my small press publisher for some reviews. If you are interested, please e-mail me here: tyreantigger (at) gmail (dot) com - it's a paranormal early MG novella.

#4 I had a drabble published and a poem published in the last five days. If you have time, read them here: "Guidance Counseling" at The Drabble and here: "Waves" at Leaves of Ink. And, currently Seven by Twenty is running a series of Twitter-sized stories: "Selkies," "Wind-walker," "Rain Blanket," "Swim Lessons," and "Sorrowing Rain" - all coming out this week. 

Now, please, dance with Lynda and Crystal!!! Celebrations commence!


29 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations, Tyrean!
Blog posts are definitely better with images.
I don't use a lot of visuals to help me write and I probably should. Certain things, like the desert, I recall from memory since I lived in a desert for several years.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

I have some images I'm using for as inspiration and/or atmosphere for my NaNo novel. It would probably help if I put them up on a bulletin board or something so I could see them more readily. :)

Congrats on all the publications, Tyrean! I enjoyed the stories I read over at Seven By Twenty. :)

Natalie Aguirre said...

Congrats, Tyrean! And so agree with Lynda on using visuals for blog posts. Congrats on her new book!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Alex - Thank you! I like to use images with characters and setting.

Madeline - I know what you mean. I hesitate to download them, since I didn't create them, but I do love some of the images I've pinnned on pinterest.

Natalie - Thank you!

Crystal Collier said...

Yay! Thanks for the shout, Tyrean. You're the best.

LYNDA! Guess what I did yesterday? (Or was it two days ago?) I got your last name right! I didn't even have to think about it. My brain is finally accepting all the rewiring I've been doing. Gosh. Took it long enough. On a separate note, I totally agree with you about images. They are a MUST. They are like white space on a written page--they break up the monotony and give us a subconscious breath of fresh air.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Thank you so much, Tyrean, for having me. This '5 Reasons' is a great series of yours. And congrats to you too!

Alex, images help jog the memory too.

Madeline, yep, that might help ;)

Natalie, thanks.

Crystal, wooo, I'm excited. I like the way you describe what images are on the page.

Denise Covey said...

Tyrean, congrats on your publications. Also thanks for hosting Lynda with her interesting post and congrats to both Lynda and Crystal for their publications! Awesome!

erica and christy said...

Congrats to Lynda, Crystal, and to you Tyrean! Sounds like you have super exciting news of your own!! I agree that images boost a blog post...though I'm not always great about including one! Christy

Julie Flanders said...

Wow, Tyrean, congratulations on that novella! Just read your post about it. How exciting!! And congrats to Crystal too, I also missed the party and am getting caught up now.

All great reasons, Lynda. And congrats again on your wonderful devotional. Great to see so much happy news in blogland. :)

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

Big Congratulations, Tyrean. All your reasons nail it. A story without imagery. Hmm. What would be the point in reading it? Congrats, Crystal and Lynda. It's been a wonderful month.

H. R. Sinclair said...

Congrats on the novella.

I use images for all those reason too!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Tyrean - congratulations ... and to Lynda too for her book and her move, and then the great advice. I prefer doing blog posts - and can get inspiration from them for so many things - mind you I cover a range of subjects ... and I use images to enhance readers' understanding of what I'm writing about ... cheers Hilary

Karen Lange said...

Great post, Lynda! I agree with all 5 reasons - pictures add wonderful sensory detail to the reading and writing experience. Congrats on your new book!

Tyrean, thanks for hosting. You know I'm a big fan of this series. :) Congrats to Crystal as well!

Juneta key said...

Congrats Tyrean and Linda and Crystal. Great post and reasons.
Juneta @ Writer's Gambit

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Denise, thanks!

Christy, it's sometimes difficult to find a picture that matches a blog post.

Julie, it is great to hear all the happy news.

Joylene, it's been an awesome month!

Holly, you use the images well!

Hilary, yes, your posts are a great example of using images on a blog.

Karen, thank you so much!

Juneta, thanks.

Unknown said...

Inspiration is my biggest reason for using images while writing. I keep "secret" Pinterest boards where I pin images that work with stories that I'm working on. I also find that finding an image of something I'm trying to describe can help my words flow a little easier.

Heather R. Holden said...

As someone who creates comics, I can't help but agree about the importance of images, LOL.

And many congrats, Tyrean! I'd read "Waves" already, but hadn't been aware of your latest drabble and Twitter stories. Very cool!

Stephanie Faris said...

Images are a big part of my blog, as everyone can see--but I also never post a social media update without them. I learned that from the marketing guys I work for as a full-time freelance writer. I was a little late for Crystal's party, too, but I'm celebrating with the rest of the blogosphere!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Crystal - you're welcome! I almost had a panic about spelling Lynda's name right - I had to go check.

Denise - Thank you!

erica and christy - Thanks!

Julie - I miss out on parties all the time in the blogging world. Thanks for coming!

Joylene - Thanks!

H.R. - Thank you!

Hilary - I get inspiration from images, too.

Karen - Thank you!

Juneta - Thanks!

Caitlin - I've found that images help me get my writing on the page, too.

Heather - Thank you!!!

Stephanie - I've noticed that about your blog - you always have great images. Thanks for coming by!

Nick Wilford said...

I like how you talked about different types of images here, Lynda. It's a great skill to be able to use words to create an image in a reader's mind that's crystal clear. Congrats to all three ladies - sounds like you've been very busy, Tyrean! An exciting time with all those releases.

Nas said...

Congratulations, Tyrean!

And so agree with Lynda on using visuals for blog posts. Congratulations on her new book!

Blue Grumpster said...

I'm not sure is my posts are more readable and engaging when images are included... ;)

Hi Lynda!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Caitlin, I like the idea of using Pinterest to help

Heather, yep, there's a bit of an emphasis on images when it comes to comics ;)

Stephanie, never posting a social media update without images is a smart move.

Nick, it takes practice.

Nas, thanks!

Blue, you are funny, Mr Grumpster. Oh, and Hi!!!

Mark said...

Great reasons! Although, I think my reason is simply because...I like it! :)

Shannon Lawrence said...

Congrats, Tyrean! And great points, Lynda. Visuals bring people in and give them a better image of what they're reading about. Comparisons definitely help, too.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Nick - Thanks!

Nas - Thank you!

Blue - funny!

Lynda - thank you for guest posting and for being so awesome at helping host!

Mark - me, too. :)

Shannon - Visuals definitely help. I seem to need to start with a visual image to get good description going.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I think pictures help a lot. I can even round out a character by finding the right picture with the right "look".

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Mark, that's a great reason too!

Shannon, thanks :)

Tyrean, you are most welcome. Thank you for the invitation!

Elizabeth, yes! I do that a lot too when I'm trying to 'see' my characters for the first time.

Blue Grumpster said...

Lynda called me Mister and... funny. This is bound to be a great weekend!