Monday, November 21, 2016

Thanksgiving, Black Friday, Links, and a Look Ahead

HAPPY
THANKSGIVING!


Thanksgiving has changed for me.
Maybe it's because of dietary restrictions in the house - think food intolerances and digestive issues to an extreme factor (eggs, dairy, gluten, corn - just to name the most annoying ones),
but I started focusing on giving thanks for Thanksgiving.

My father-in-law sits at the head of the table and tells Sven and Oly jokes. 

Everyone is invited to the kitchen, before and after the feast, at my Aunt's house.
This year, we aren't getting together at my Aunt's house. It makes me sad. I'm missing my cousins - three of the younger ones are pictured here. And yes, we are all stuffing our faces on leftovers - just an hour after dinner. :)

This year is so different from previous years. Some loved ones are gone. Some have larger families that have invited them into new traditions. Every celebration is different, and yet, I still have thanksgiving in my heart.

Thank you, God, for giving me life!
Thank you, friends, for giving me cheer!
Thank you, family, for your love!
Thank you.
Thank you.
Thank you.

And, don't worry, I still eat turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, and pie on Thanksgiving. It's just a little more creative.

BLACK FRIDAY
I know that most people see this day as a day of insanity, rioting in stores, etc.
I know a wonderful group of people who see it as an opportunity to share..
On Friday, they have cookies to hand out to shoppers. 
They do this every year.
They don't shop.
They go to share love, kindness, and Christmas cheer.
If people want to talk, they might share their faith (but only if asked).
They inspire me.

Who inspires you on Black Friday?

If you don't have enough to do/read/consume this weekend, check out these links that I ran across recently:

LINKS

How to Write a Headline (for twitter, facebook, instagram, etc.)

Outline and Tracking Tool for Writers

Eight Elements of a Successful E-book Launch

50 Vague Phrases that Have No Business in Your Query

How Authors Can Build Their Audience on Instagram
Although - I have to say - it does matter how many times a day we post on instagram according to my two "in-house" teen experts. Once a day is best, twice is okay. Once a week is good, as long as it's on the same day every week.

The Social Media Frequency Guide
The numbers change on this type of article every time I read one, but it's good to stay updated on the latest data.

Black and White Publishing has a new way to publish books through youtube!
Check out this Flash Fiction story, "Breathe," by Milo James Fowler.





I really, really like this video: Know Your Why




And, this is a longer "Know your Why" type video about How Great Leaders Inspire Action







LOOKING AHEAD
Do You Have Goals? - This Friday
IWSG and Dressember - December 7th
Guest Post by Tara Tyler - December 14th
Last Post Before Christmas/The Reader Edition - December 19th
Do You Have Goals? And Early New Year - December 30th

What are you thankful for this year?

Do you know your why?



15 comments:

S.A. Larsenッ said...

Who inspires me on Black Friday??? Hmm...I'd probably have to say the poor store clerks. :) They really have to be courageous to work on that day.

Thanks for sharing your family! It's so healthy to reflect on gratitude now and again. So much to be thankful for.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Happy Thanksgiving Tyrean!

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Tyrean! Enjoy it all!

cleemckenzie said...

This Thanksgiving will be very different for us as well. Since my mom's no longer with us, I'm rethinking the holiday just about 100%. There's sadness in that, but there's also the idea that we can do something a bit different and make it exciting.

May your family celebration be filled with joy and, of course, tons of leftovers for those kitchen moments later in the day. :-)

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I miss the large family gatherings. We stopped when my grandmother died. :(

You're so right. The season is far more than the food. It's the people, and I am thankful for all the wonderful people in my life.

CWMartin said...

Well, since Laurie works at Wal-Mart, BF is a dirty word around here. But have a great Thanksgiving!

Tyrean Martinson said...

SA - they definitely do!

Anonymous said...

This year my family has some diet restrictions that will make Thanksgiving dinner interesting.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Rachna - thank you!

Madeline - Thank you! I hope you enjoy it, too!

C.Lee - Enjoy Thanksgiving no matter how you celebrate!

Elizabeth - me, too. :)

CW - I'm glad you have a great Thanksgiving! Don't worry - I won't shop that day. :)

Particia - it does make it interesting, but it's all still good. :)

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

This is our first year in a long time when we won't have one of our children's college friends sharing Thanksgiving with us because their homes are too far away. But the rest of the family is home so that's always special and everyone gets along. I feel so sad when I hear of families that don't get along and get togethers are stressful.
Black Friday finds us at home. This year we're binging Gilmore Girls.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Tyrean. We don't have that in Australia, but I'd love any excuse to get together with family.

Stephanie Faris said...

Sounds like a great way to think of Thanksgiving! I stay away from shopping on Black Friday. I do most of my Christmas shopping online, actually...and there are some great deals online all weekend. I'm going to try to knock some of my Christmas list out between festivities this weekend!

Karen Lange said...

I'm thankful that God sent Jesus to save us, for family, and for wonderful friends like you. :) Happy Thanksgiving!

Romance Reader said...

I'm thankful for everything we have in life and of life itself.

Nicola said...

I love your positive approach to life, Tyrean. Thank you for sharing those precious family times that you used to hve. Hold onto those memories. Times change but no one can take those away from you. Have a lovely weekend.